- Children enjoy and are enthusiastic about Science.
- Children are becoming increasingly independent in Science, and are completing pupil-led investigations.
- So much of Science lends itself to outdoor learning, and so we provide children with opportunities to experience this. Our school pond and extensive forest area are important habitats that children can explore and value as part of the wider ecosystems.
- Through enrichment days, such as ‘science week’, we promote the profile of Science and allow time for the children to freely explore scientific topics.
- Assessment at Oak Tree is teacher based and formed using formal strategies (e.g TASC wheels, Oak Tree growth sheets) and informal strategies (use of reflection tasks/presentations/exit tickets).
- Formative assessment is used as the main tool for assessing the impact of Science at Oak Tree Primary school as it allows for misconceptions and gaps to be addressed more immediately, rather than building on insecure scientific foundations.